Activities and Results
The Abolitionist Movement in the Context of Civil
and Political Emancipation in Modern Romania
Activities and Results in 2015
Research stays abroad:
• Viorel ACHIM in Geheimes Preussisches Staatsarchiv and in Staatsbibliotek, Berlin, Germany, 9-22 November 2015.
• Raluca TOMI in Archio di Stato di Napoli and Biblioteca Nazionale, Neaples, Italy, 16-28 November 2015.
1. Conference papers:
1. Viorel ACHIM: "The problems encountered by former Roma deportees after returning from Transnistria" - paper at the Fifth international multidisciplinary conference "Beyond Camps and Forced Labour: Current International Research on Survivors of Nazi Persecution", Imperial War Museum, London, United Kingdom, 7-9 January 2015.
2. Cătălin TURLIUC: "Marile reforme din timpul domniei lui Alexandru Ioan Cuza" [The great reforms during the reign of Alexandru Ioan Cuza] - paper at the Symposium "Unirea din 1859" [The Union of 18591, Focşani, Ateneul Pastia, 17 January 2015.
3. Cătălin TURLIUC: "Modernizarea instituţională a României în epoca Unirii Principatelor" [Intitutional modernization of Romania in the epoch of the Union of Principalites] - paper at the Conference "Unirea Principatelor Române şi ecourile sale în Basarabia" [The Union of the Romanian Principalities and its echos in Bessarabia], organized by the Romanian Cultural Institute, the Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Moldova, Chişinău, Republic of Moldova, 23 January 2015.
4. Viorel ACHIM: "Reforma agrară a lui Cuza şi emancipaţii" [The land reform of Alexandru Ioan Cuza and the emancipated] - paper at the Symposium "Omagiu făuritorilor Unirii" [Tribute to the Makers of the Union], the 4th edition, organized by the "Al. I. Cuza" Association Iaşi and the Museum of the Union, Iaşi, 23 January 2015.
5. Cătălin TURLIUC: "Administraţie şi politică în vremea domniei lui Alexandrun Ioan Cuza" [Administration and politics during the reign of Alexandru Ioan Cuza] - paper at the Symposium "Omagiu făuritorilor Unirii" [Tribute to the Makers of the Union], the 4th edition, organized by the "Al. I. Cuza" Association Iaşi and the Museum of the Union, Iaşi, 23 January 2015.
6. Viorel ACHIM: "Considerations about the territorial distribution of Gypsy slaves in Romanian principalities" - paper at the International Conference "Slaving Zones: Cultural Identities, Ideologies, and Institution in the Evolution of Global Slavery", hosted by Leiden University, Leiden, The Netherlands, 1-2 June 2015.
7. Viorel ACHIM: "Gypsies speak. An analysis of the petitions of the Gypsy slaves in the Romanian principalities, c. 1835-1855" - paper at the Annual Conference of the Gypsy Lore Society on Romani Studies, Chişinău, Republic of Moldova, 10-12 September 2015.
8. Cătălin TURLIUC: "Naţionalism şi propagandă în perioada neutralităţii" [Nationalism and propaganda during the period of neutrality] - paper at the conference "Românii în prima conflagraţie mondială. Tentaţii, opinii şi acţiuni în perioada neutralităţii României" [Romanians in the First World War. Temptations, opinions and actions in the period of Romania’s neutrality], organized by A. D. Xenopol Institute of History and Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, Iaşi, 8-9 October 2015.
9. Cătălin TURLIUC: "Nationalism - A Secular Liturgy of Modernity" - at the International Conference "National Identities in Intercultural Dialogue", organized by Moldova State University and the Office for Inter-ethnic Relations of the Republic of Moldova, Chişinău, Republic of Moldova, 28-30 October 2015, Keynote speaker.
10. Cătălin TURLIUC: "Cauza naţională românească în preajma şi în timpul Primului Război Mondial" [The Romanian national cause on the eve of and and during the First World War] - paper at the International Symposium "Români-Moldoveni-Europeni. Dileme şi Identităţi" [Romanians-Moldovans-Europeans], Iaşi-Bălţi-Chişinău, 4-8 November 2015.
2. Articles and studies:
1. Cătălin TURLIUC: "Games within Frontiers: Memory and Citizenship in Interwar Romania". In: Gheorghe Cliveti (ed.), Clio în oglindiri de sine. Academicianului Alexandru Zub. Omagiu, Iaşi: Editura Universităţii "Alexandru Ioan Cuza" din Iaşi, 2014, pp. 743-754.
2. Viorel ACHIM: "Între integrare şi discriminare: romii ca paradigmă" [Between integration and discrimination: Roma as a paradigm]. In: Trivium. Revistă de gândire simbolică, Iaşi (forthcoming).
• Aboliţionism şi emancipare în România modernă [Abolitionism and Emancipation in Modern Romania]. Authors: Venera ACHIM, Viorel ACHIM, Raluca TOMI, Cătălin TURLIUC. Bucharest: Editura Academiei Române, 2015 (forthcoming).
III. Other activities
Dissemination events; radio and TV shows:
• Participation in the debate with the title "159 de ani de la dezrobirea romilor în Principatele Române" [150 years from the emancipation of Roma in the Romanian Principalities], organized by the "Romano Kher" National Center for Roma Culture, in partenership with the National Agency for Roma, Bucharest, 20 February 2015. Participants: Constantin Bălăceanu-Stolnici, Cristian Pârvulescu, Delia Grigore, Vasile Ionescu, Petre Petcuţ, Viorel ACHIM.
• Lecture with the title "Mihail Kogălniceanu şi aboliţionismul românesc" [Mihail Kogălniceanu and the Romanian abolitionism], presented by Cătălin TURLIUC at the "Mihail Kogălniceanu" Museum, Iaşi, 19 May 2015.
• Radio show "Ora de istorie" [The history hour] on Radio România Iaşi, 21 October 2015, with the topic "România lui Carol I" [Romania of King Carol I], in which Cătălin TURLIUC spoke about the emancipation.
• TV show "Cercetarea la răscruce" [The research at the crossroad], on Apollonia TV, Iaşi, 4 Octomber 2015 and 8 November 2015, made by Cătălin TURLIUC.