Activities and Results
The Abolitionist Movement in the Context of Civil
and Political Emancipation in Modern Romania
Activities and Results in 2014
Research stays abroad:
• Cătălin TURLIUC in Bibliothèque Nationale de France, Paris, France, 12-18 November 2014.
• Venera ACHIM at Centre des Archives diplomatiques de Nantes, France, 17-29 November 2014.
• Raluca TOMI in Archio di Stato di Napoli, Italy, 16-28 November 2014.
1. Conference papers:
1. Cătălin TURLIUC: “Secularizarea averilor mănăstireşti - 1863" [Secularization of monastery estates - 1863] - paper at the 7th edition of the National Symposium “Union of the Romanian Principalities", organized by the Vrancea County Museum, Focşani, 18 January 2014.
2. Cătălin TURLIUC: “Alexandru Ioan Cuza - viziune şi acţiune politică" [Alexandru Ioan Cuza - vision and political action] - paper at the conference “Nation and Action in 1859", organized by “Bogdan Petriceicu Haşdeu" State University Cahul, Cahul, Republic of Moldova, 24 January 2014.
3. Viorel ACHIM: “Some remarks on anti-Semitism and anti-Gypsyism in Romania, the 1930s and early 1940s" - paper at the Collaborative Wokshop “Anti-Semitism in Romania and Moldova 1881-1991", organized by the Romanian-Moldovan Research Group, Leicester University, Leicester, United Kingdom, 2 July 2014.
4. Cătălin TURLIUC: “Ion I. C. Brătianu şi emanciparea politică în România modernă" [Ion I. C. Brătianu and the political emancipation in modern Romania] - paper at the symposium “The 150th Anniversary of Ion C. Brătianu’s Birth", organized by the Argeş County History Museum and the Argeş County Direction for National Cultural Patrimony, Ştefăneşti-Argeş, 20 August 2014.
5. Viorel ACHIM: “What Gypsies in Romanian principalities thought about their emancipation from slavery? Note on archival documents from the years 1856-1859" - paper at the Annual Conference of the Gypsy Lore Society on Romani Studies, Bratislava, Slovakia, 11-13 September 2014.
6. Viorel ACHIM: “Între integrare şi discriminare: romii ca paradigmă" [Between integration and discrimination: Roma as a paradigm] - paper at the international symposium “The Forgoten Diversity of Romania. History, Patrimony, Memory", organized by the County Direction for National Cultural Patrimony Iaşi, the “Orbis Tertius / A Treia Lume" Association (Bucharest), the Institute for Symbolic Studies and Researches (Iaşi), the “Lumina Moldovei" Association (Târgu-Neamţ), the “Al. I. Cuza" Association (Iaşi) and the “Moldova" National Museum Complex, Iaşi, Târgu-Neamţ, 23-26 October 2014.
2. Articles and studies:
1. Raluca TOMI: “L’abolizionismo nel dibattito dei leader italiani e romeni nella prima metà dell’Ottocento". In: Transylvanian Review (forthcoming).
2. Raluca TOMI: “Iluminismul francez şi problema sclaviei: Jean Jacques Rousseau" [The French Enlightenment and the Issue of Slavery: Jean Jaques Rousseau]. In: Revista Istorică (forthcoming).
3. Venera ACHIM: “Norme şi particularităţi în aplicarea legii de emancipare a ţiganilor din Ţara Românească (1856)" [Norms and Particularities in the Implementation of the Law for the Emancipation of Gypsies in Wallachia (1856)]. In: Revista Istorică (forthcoming).
4. Cătălin TURLIUC: “Ion I. C. Brătianu şi emanciparea politică în România modernă" [Ion I. C. Brătianu and the Political Emancipation in Modern Romania]. In: Revista Istorică (forthcoming).
• Modernizare socială şi instituţională în Principatele Române, 1831-1859 [Social and Institutional Modernization in the Romanian Principalities, 1831-1859]. Editors: Venera ACHIM and Viorel ACHIM. Bucharest: Editura Academiei Române (forthcoming).
• Aboliţionismul românesc în texte de epocă, cca 1830-1860 [The Romanian Abolitionism in Contemporary Texts, ca. 1830-1860].Ediţie, studiu introductiv şi note de Venera Achim, Viorel ACHIM, Raluca TOMI. Bucharest: Editura Academiei Române (forthcoming).
III. Other activities
Radio and TV broadcasts:
• Broadcast at Radio România Actualităţi, Emisiunea Istorica, with the title “The Romanian society during the period of the Organic Regulations", 21 October 2014. Participants: Cătălin TURLIU, Marian Stroia.
• Show on Prima TV, Tele Moldova, debate with the title “International Day of Human Rights", 10 December 2013. Participants: Cătălin TURLIUC, Şt. Coste, Radu Tarniceanu, M. Balan.
• Show on Tele Moldova, “150 years from the reforms by Alexandru Ioan Cuza", 1 July 2014. Participants: Cătălin TURLIUC, Magda Lupu.